Monday 22 July 2013

Rainy Day @ Calin La Boulangerie et Le Cafe, Eight Thonglor

Calin La Boulangerie et Le Cafe, or what people refer to as Calin Cafe, is a charming Parisian style cafe offering a French dining experience. The cafe is located on the ground floor of Eight Thonglor. There are both indoor and outdoor tables for both AC lovers and weather appreciators. For me, I usually preferred my table indoor during this Bangkok rainy season. I recommend calling in to reserve a table (081-586-7305) in case you are going there on weekends or public holidays as the cafe will be crowded. Also going around 11 am would help you avoid the big crowd. The cafe opens daily from 8.00 am to 11.00 pm.
Before you continue reading the rest of this post, I would like to remind you not to be alarmed by the amount of food shared between four ladies. It is very usual in my family. Alrighty... If you are ready, let's proceed.


To start off my family brunch with my three lovely ladies, I ordered Moka Ethiopian Americano. my auntie and cousin ordered Cafes Richard latte. At Calin Cafe, six choices of Cafes Richard beans for diners to enjoy with homemade pastries and gourmet dishes.


Wouldn't you love the idea of having a nice breakfast anytime of the day? I most certainly do. This is probably why sometimes after a long day, I would die for a nice breakfast with butter croissant and cheesy scrambled egg. Yum! Well at Calin Cafe, they have all-day breakfast items on the menu for you to do just that. Just to indulge on a little breakfast feel, we ordered classic brunch dishes like Œuf en Cocotte with Salmon and Caviar and Broiche Egg Benedict with Ham and Asparagus. They are lovely.


On a rainy day, I love having a nice bowl of soup to warm myself up. The popular cream of Mushroom Soup, it would even make it even better. I love the soup because of the strong mushroom scent and because of the creaminess that makes the texture so smooth. I also like the natural taste with not much seasoning involve in making this soup. It is just my personal preference.


We tried the White Asparagus with Smoked Salmon and Parmesan Crumbles. Every ingredient on this dish is what I usually enjoy having in my meals. Give it a go if you are at Calin Cafe. Pan-Fried Foie Gras with Caramelized Pears is nice. The Caramelized pears go so well with the nicely cooked foie gras.

Apart from the above, we had Whole Wheat Pasta Provencale Style (Tapenade and Sea Bass) and Duck Confit with Potato Mousse and Glazed Vegetables. My three lovely ladies enjoyed the pasta so much.


What I cannot not talk about here is the 1824 Grain-fed Entrecôte Steak served with Spiced Fries. I asked for medium rare, and for the first time in a long while, I actually have my medium rare steak that I could enjoy. I give the Calin Cafe thumbs up for that. Thank you!


To end this lovely brunch, we enjoyed Kouign-Aman served with Creme Chantilly and Fresh Fruits and my favourite Croissant Pudding. The Croissant Pudding is such a delicious comfort dessert with freshly baked crispy croissant soaked in a nice warm custard. So good with a cup of coffee. If you are not really into the pudding part like I am, maybe give these homemade croissants a go. You will not regret having them.

So how would I rate Calin Cafe? I would give 8.5 out of 10 for overall.
  • 8.5 for Food... All dishes are delightful and yummy.
  • 9 for Ambiance... Casual and chic Parisian sidewalk cafe with two lovely areas, indoor and outdoor. The color scheme is just so warm and cosy.
  • 8.5 for Services... We received a remarkable service from a lovely waitress named Pu. She is very nice to my elderly mother in terms of being very friendly and patient. Apart from her, the staff are very attentive, informative and friendly. If you are there during the rush hours, be patient. It can be very busy for them.
  • 8 for Prices... For the number of dishes and drinks we ordered, I feel that they are fairly priced. The deliciousness makes up for the prices.
Until next time, stay happy and stay full.

No comments:

Post a Comment